Wednesday 27 February 2008

Earthquake! Very Nearby!

Never felt one before. It may have only lasted a few seconds but I felt it along with many thousands of other people in the UK. It scared the living daylights out of me and the cat. Technically it was a tremor for the rest of us but it was enough. It was reported by the BBC about an hour later. You can find the BBC Report here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

At the time the tremor came at approx 1am I was curled up in bed, trying to get to sleep. One second I was still, next the whole house shook backwards and forwards which was also disorientating. Before it happened Puss my cat who was sitting on the edge of the bed, pricked her ears up as something had got her attention. As soon as it happened she jumped off.
It scared the living daylights out of both of us. I was glad when it stopped. Nearly thought the world was ending. As soon as it finished I got out of bed, pulled some clothes on and went straight to the BBC Website to see if anything had turned up on there about it. It hadnt. It seemed to me at the time we were having an earthquake though I hoped it wasnt. So I turned my telly on to BBC News 24 my usual news channel and waited to see if anything turned up. Not long afterwards sure enough it appeared. As soon as it said there had been a 4.7 Earthquake with the epicentre in Lincolnshire the first thing I said was "My God, it was an earthquake". The resulting tremor was felt in many counties, including across the Humber in Hull.
It took me over half an hour to calm down whilst watching the telly. Decided a blog report on it might be a good idea. Had to relax a bit first as I was, still am at time of writing, a little shaken - quite literally - by it.
Before writing this entry I went to the US Geographic Survey's website for more information on the quake and was surprised at its location in Lincolnshire. Grimsby is in North East Lincolnshire. Its location is in fact near Market Rasen near Lincoln, approx 30 miles from Grimsby.
The statistical data on the quake can be found here:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008nyae.php


View Larger Map Location map of the Epicentre

As you can see it was very close by to us here. The other good thing about blogging this event is that it helps to get it out of my system. Will probably watch the telly for a few more hours to help me relax enough to go to sleep.

No comments: